Sunday, September 18, 2011

So I have been eyeing up winter/feeder kings in Cook Inlet mainly because they are available year round and well they are KINGS!

Downriggers are almost required for this fishery with the added bonus that when done right, you typically catch small chicken halibut while trolling.

I first tried a gimbal mount.  I had to modify slightly but the stainless mount I got was HARD!  Could not drill through it with titanium coated bits.  That's another story.

Re-read ZEE's great article and decided to center mount it behind me as suggested.  I was concerned I wouldn't be able to reach it but it turned out to be no problem. 

There's been some discussion on what pound weight to use.  I would say that from my ONE time out.  I would say a 6 pound ball is MINIMUM for trolling saltwater salmon gear.  I still had line angles approaching 45 deg when trolling fast and against current.  90% of the time, it was within acceptable range of angles. 

What struck me as amazing was the zero tippininess factor.  I was delicately placing the ball into the water fearing it might yank and cause the kayak too tip a little.  Heck in my outback, I could have shotputted the weight out and I don't think the Kayak would have flinched.  ZERO scariness factor I was thinking might happen.  I will say I use a large 17ah battery I mounted inside on the side opposite of the downrigger for balance.

The only drawback was it did feel like you were paddling through "thicker" water.  If this was the only thing I did in my outback, I'd consider putting the original fins back on.  But it wasn't overwhelming.  You could just tell it was "more" effort. 

The fish better watch out!  I really think this is going to boost my productivity on salmon considerably.




6 comments:

Kris said...

nice!

Unknown said...

Hey Rudy. We met this summer out at Seward. Just as you were loading your yak. I used to Kayak fish in the lower 48. So seeing you there has really given me the bug! I'm planning on picking up another yak over the winter. I was noticing you bought the Outback. I'm considering a Revolution or a Adventure. What made you choose the Outback?

Unknown said...

Hey hey! I ended up choosing the outback for several reasons. My first kayak is a mini-x which is a very wide and stable kayak. I placed a lot of premium on stability due to be going alone and it being the first yer. Outback has PLENTY. I am sure the revo does too.

The outback also gave me more room to add equipment and leave my gear out. Just more "shelf" space for gear and "flat"space for mounting stuff.

Coby said...

Hello Rudy I really like your blog because it gives me an insight of fishing in Alaska and I also feel that you write your post out very well. You got a new follower!

Unknown said...

Thanks FFC! Never been to Florida but would love to! Thanks for the comment and stopping by.

คาสิโนออนไลน์ Gclub sbobet said...

It's a great holiday. I want to have a holiday like this.


Genting Club Download