Sunday, September 18, 2011

Sheep Creek with Ryu

Took Ryu out to Sheep Creek to see if we couldn't find a few fish to catch and release.  We got off to a late start but was on the river by 3pm.  A few folks there, but they left after about 30 minutes.

The action would turn on and off for the grayling.  We caught a few using a mickey finn on an ultralight rod with a split shot.  I then broke out a 18 foot pole (as in no reel) that my father in law sent me from Japan.

Tied on a size 10 prince nymph a small split shot, a large indicator and gave it a go.  Worked great!  I did hit a small rainbow and a good sized grayling and both tested the rod.  Not sure what I am going to do with a 18 inch rainbow.  I think I need to step down to 2lbs or 1 lbs test to save the rod in case of a big fish.  I was using 4 pounds.












1 comment:

Kazul said...

one of my favorite stories---